Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mix and Sort

One of the cheapest activities with a huge amount of success! I purchased a bag of three different kinds of dried beans (store brand from the local grocery store added up to about $5 total). I snagged an empty folgers container from my parents to use as storage.

CP loves to scoop and dump the beans on the floor. We practice using old measuring cups and spoons to scoop and aim where we dump. (we watch closely to make sure nothing goes in the mouth.)

We spend time sorting the size, color, shape and discussion how they are alike and different. You'd be surprised how much kiddos understand at 19 months old.


As you may notice, by the end of our play session, beans are EVERYWHERE. Now we use an old sheet as a drop cloth and we can easily clean up stray beans. 

One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to place these in a safe spot and bring them out on occasion. I believe this is such a huge success and am able to get quite a bit of play time and focused attention on this is because it is out of sight, out of mind. "New" each time I bring it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment