Sunday, November 3, 2013

Easy & Cheap Stools - Great for Playroom or Classroom

 I teach 5th grade. For those of you who do guided reading, you may already know that those kidney tables are NOT big enough for fifth graders. I needed something else that didn't take up so much room and could accommodate  more than your typical number of guided reading students (5). 

Snagged the idea from a great blog
She even has a video to help! 

At your local hardware store, you should find buckets for about $2 a piece! 

Purchase spray paint that is meant for plastic, less chance of chipping. 
I used to cans for six buckets - 3 coats each. 

Take the handle off. It just gets in the way. I used my to hang student work from the ceiling in my classroom. (I tied fishing line to both sides of the white handle. Then, I ran ribbon around the bottom just above the "hook" part and stapled it together. In the classroom I use clothes pins to attach student work to the ribbon! It's really fun!)

Find a color that works for you! Red was great! Very empowering for my students.
Choose a fabric that works for you.  



I used a 12" square pillow. Bring the corners together underneath and staple them together. As you go around staple the fabric to the bucket on opposite sides. This way you are able to get a more uniform finish. It took me a few time to get it right. The good thing about using a nail gun is you can pull it up when you don't like the placement or tension. 



I am now carrying this idea into my play room. I will find smaller buckets and smaller pillows to cover. This will be great to add some fun color to our home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment